Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:14:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Scott Corey <scott@bsdprophet.org>
Cc:        AlCapone <chicago30s@yahoo.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding freebsd box to home lan

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Scott Corey wrote:

> You need to add the other boxes in /etc/hosts file on your FreeBSD box.
> However, It would be much better to use the FreeBSD box as a gateway and
> let the window boxes just be desktops, since that is about all they are
> good for. In the long run you will find that your FreeBSD box a much
> better gateway.
>
> Scott
>
> AlCapone wrote:
> >
> > Okie, I have just installed freebsd on one of my boxes
> > and I would like to add it to my home lan. I have read
> > handbook part about networking and it seems that my
> > configuration is fine.

Definitely the FreeBSD box as the gateway is "better,", but
if you need to run Windows as the Internet connection, the
FreeBSD machine can get there through it--with a default
route of the internal interface on the Windows gateway.
However, you have to use either Windows connection sharing
(which may assign your other machines an IP address) or
you need a Windows program like Sygate (which is what I've
used) that basically does network address transalation
(and will also forward ports and the like, as well as
act as a DHCP server) on the Windows gateway.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC