Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 14:56:44 +0200 (EET)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, ache@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backspace and Delete keys under PuTTY

Hi,

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Ryan Thompson wrote:

> Jonathan Chen wrote to Adrian Penisoara:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:17:17PM +0200, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > >   But I have Bash as the default shell. And yes, it works changing
> > > the Terminal / Keyboard / "Backspace key" from "Contrl-? (127)" to
> > > "Control-H", but the users are pissed off by the fact that Linux
> > > doesn't need this -- does it mean FreeBSD has broken termcap
> > > entries or that Linux is just stepping on the traditional
> > > standards ?
> >
> > It's Linux that's stepping on standards. Their default config is to
> > have erase=DEL. All other UNIX boxen I've used have erase=BACKASPCE.
> > I suspect the PUTTY writers have been heavily influenced by Linux.

 Here's the explanation from the PuTTY's web documentation page[1]:

4.4.1 Changing the action of the Backspace key
Some terminals believe that the Backspace key should send the same thing
to the server as Control-H (ASCII code 8). Other terminals believe that
the Backspace key should send ASCII code 127 (usually known as
Control-?) so that it can be distinguished from Control-H. This option
allows you to choose which code PuTTY generates when you press
Backspace.

If you are connecting to a Unix system, you will probably find that the
Unix stty command lets you configure which the server expects to see, so
you might not need to change which one PuTTY generates. On other
systems, the server's expectation might be fixed and you might have no
choice but to configure PuTTY.

If you do have the choice, we recommend configuring PuTTY to generate
Control-? and configuring the server to expect it, because that allows
applications such as emacs to use Control-H for help.

  Should all people go for this ?

> Has anyone taken the time to really fine tune PuTTY's settings to work
> well with FreeBSD and {n}curses apps? Somewhat ironically, the best
> results I have received thus far are to use xterm-color and ^H for
> erase. This works perfectly in tcsh/bash, but suffers somewhat in
> curses or ncurses programs such as PINE or lpe. Results with these
> settings vary depending on the application. PINE, for example, screams
> "Unknown Command" when I try to use Home/End/Delete/ PgUp/PgDn. With
> lpe, everything works except Home/End. Let me tell you, on a Dvorak
> keyboard, the usual ^Q and ^R aren't exactly intuitive or convenient.
> :-)

 Once again, let's see PuTTY's sideview on their site[1]:

4.4.2 Changing the action of the Home and End keys
The Unix terminal emulator rxvt disagrees with the rest of the world
about what character sequences should be sent to the server by the Home
and End keys.

xterm, and other terminals, send ESC [1~ for the Home key, and ESC [4~
for the End key. rxvt sends ESC [H for the Home key and ESC [Ow for the
End key.

If you find an application on which the Home and End keys aren't
working, you could try switching this option to see if it helps.

  On which side are we on ?

  And for this matter let's see how the F? keys are standing on:

4.4.3 Changing the action of the function keys and keypad
This option affects the function keys (F1 to F12) and the top row of the
numeric keypad.

In the default mode, labelled ESC [n~, the function keys generate
sequences like ESC [11~, ESC [12~ and so on. This matches the general
behaviour of Digital's terminals.
In Linux mode, F6 to F12 behave just like the default mode, but F1 to F5
generate ESC [[A through to ESC [[E. This mimics the Linux virtual
console.
In Xterm R6 mode, F5 to F12 behave like the default mode, but F1 to F4
generate ESC OP through to ESC OS, which are the sequences produced by
the top row of the keypad on Digital's terminals.
In VT400 mode, all the function keys behave like the default mode, but
the actual top row of the numeric keypad generates ESC OP through to ESC
OS.
In VT100+ mode, the function keys generate ESC OP through to ESC O[
In SCO mode, the function keys F1 to F12 generate ESC [M through to ESC
[X. Together with shift, they generate ESC [Y through to ESC [j. With
control they generate ESC [k through to ESC [v, and with shift and
control together they generate ESC [w through to ESC [{.

If you don't know what any of this means, you probably don't need to
fiddle with it.

  I know that I had problems with F10 in Midnight Commander in FreeBSD
connected through PuTTY...

[1] http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/docs.html

 Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)