Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 00:31:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with NCR driver

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Don wrote:

> Ok here is the situation. I have an alphastation 200 4/233 with 96 megs of
> ram. I just installed this system today. I cvsup'd new source and went to
> compile a custom kernel using a configuration I use on two other identical
> systems. The problem is that when I attempt to boot this system the ncr
> driver "discarded data" and after 6 or so discards it announces that it
> cannot read block 16. I immediately booted with generic and it worked
> fine. Is there a known issue with this driver?
>
> I have had similar problems with the ncr's in my other systems. Those
> systems are running current from about 3 weeks ago. If I change the SCSI
> Delay in the kernel config and then reboot without powering off, the
> system will hang at the ncr driver.
>
> Basically I have had this problem on 3 different ncr's with 4 different
> hard disks. If anyone has any information about this please let me know.

Seeing as the NCR controller is used pretty widely on the Alpha, and many
of us haven't any problems with it at all, you maybe should give much more
information, like the model of the controller, the kind of cable (describe
thoroughly, what's terminating, how many connectors, drives, etc) and how
the relevant portions of your dmesg and config file.

I'll bet it's something to do with cabling or terminations.  Too many of
us think they're pretty solid controllers.

> -don

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-alpha" in the body of the message

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)