Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:02:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Theo PAGTZIS <T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS and removable disks

i've moved this over to freebsd-questions, since it's more appropriate for
that mailing list.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Theo PAGTZIS wrote:

> Hi all,

hello.

> I have the following problem. I have moved my disk with Fbsd 3.3
> onto a diff machine with exactly the same network interface on both
> machines de0.

ok, good.

this is a zip drive? or what?

> However when I am trying to do mount on the machines NFS responds with
>
> NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out

this means that one of them doesn't much like the other. have you checked
the /etc/exports file? or, for that matter, made sure that you have
everything configured properly?

> When I ask people what does NFS depend on between client and servers I
> get the response of only IP address. So since the IP address is the
> same I am puzzled as to why there is port map failure.

i'm assuming you mean the hard drive, not some other thing, like a floppy
or zip drive.

if you moved the hard drive, it should not be having to much of a problem,
on the other hand true "removeable media" drive would not be automagically
set to be exported without some work on your part.

> Could anyone enlighten on the reason of why this happens?
>
> BTW when I ping the ping works ok as well as telnet does

at a guess, i'd say it's misconfigured. or the portmapper isn't working
correctly.

you need to check for both on your machines.

-- jan

  email: jan[at]caustic.org   web: http://www.caustic.org/~jan
   "knowledge is power. power corrupts. study hard, be evil."