Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:42:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does "Voxware still supported in 4.0" mean exactly?

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Conrad Sabatier wrote:

> Despite this frequently noted complaint, the fact remains that Windows
> still continues to work with much older hardware.  Why shouldn't FreeBSD?

Are you even listening, Conrad? I don't think you are.

> One particularly worrisome note (well, to me, anyway) that appeared in this
> thread mentioned the requirement to use "options OLD_ISA" (or something
> like that) to get Voxware to work in 4.0/CURRENT.  Is support for older,
> pure ISA machines going away, too?

Get your facts straight:

1) 5.0, not 4.0
2) No

> Granted, sooner or later there comes a time in the life of every OS when
> support for certain types of dinosaur hardware is finally abandoned, but I
> hardly think the AWE boards could properly be described as ancient,
> outdated, or seldom used anymore.

This point has already been addressed.

> If the new pcm driver supported the card as well as Voxware, I'd certainly
> have no complaint, and would readily make the switch.  But until pcm
> allows me to use the wavetable device (including support for user loading
> of Soundfonts) and is capable of controlling the card's nifty added
> features such as reverb and chorus, it makes no sense at all for me to
> "upgrade" to 4.0, when doing so represents a definite "downgrade" in at
> least one department.
>
> And besides, where's the MIDI?  :-)

And just who has the gun pointed at your head forcing you to upgrade to
4.0? If 3.4 works for you, stick with 3.4. If pcm is broken for you in
4.0, wait until it's fixed.

> While I can certainly appreciate the FreeBSD development team's desire for
> a more modern, unified and well-integrated driver than Voxware, until such
> time as it can provide the same functionality as the older driver, I do
> strongly believe that Voxware should continue to be supported, and that
> pcm still should be considered as an "experimental" option only.

Amancio Hasty has already volunteered to maintain Voxware..I fail to see
why you're still complainining when all of these things *HAVE BEEN
ADDRESSED IN PRIOR MEAILS*.

Kris

----