Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 00:11:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Loschert <loschert@servint.com>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions source-upgrading 3.4-s to 4.0-s

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

> So buildworld runs in its "own complete isolated" environment?
> IOW, buildworld uses its "own" tools, etc., & doesn't need ie.
> /bin, /usr/bin ...  ??  (Except for a few basic things, like the
> compiler (with which to "bootstrap" itself?"...  :)

Exactly.  The only time there are snags is when an install or building
tool is not included in the world building tool chain.  AFAIK, this is the
reason for the installworld -DNOINFO hack.  install-info is not part of
the build chain, but the install relies upon it (and in the case of the
3.x->4.0 upgrade, it relies on a new feature for the version not yet
installed on the system).  I could be mistaken on this point, but this is
how I interpreted the discussion on -current.

> >cvs-crypto
>
> UPDATING says "Crypto & secure are now required."  That, as I
> understand would be src-crypto and src-secure.  How would these
> differ from cvs-crypto?  Ie. would it be "better" to use those 2
> "tags" or to use the one cvs-crypto?  I suppose what I may be
> asking is "how do I make my new system look most like the
> distributed CDs?"

As mentioned in another reply, cvs-crypto is simply a crypto catch-all
tag.  I prefer it because I want all crypto and thus I see it as
cleaner.  It's just personal preference though.

> >If you want the latest ports collection and documentation, specify:
> >ports-all tag=.
> >doc-all   tag=.
>
> I do that with a separate cvsup file/job...

Why?  Cvsup ports and docs more or less often?  I just lump them all into
my sup-file, along with src-all and cvs-crypto for RELENG_3, RELENG_4, and
-CURRENT, all going into different directories.  That way I can read
through the source changes to all of the active branches, or
upgrade/downgrade any way I want.

> >supfile using something like:
> >*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
>
> I use one "closer..."

Yeah, that was what I was getting at with the "something like" :)

> >cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod && make install
>
> Along the lines of "dotting all the "i"s & "crossong all the
> "t"s", I believe it would be a Good Idea to make this more
> explicit in the instructions...  :)

Warner Losh is the man in charge of the UPDATING file.  You might want to
pass the suggestion along to him.

> My devices are indeed da*; it was fresh-installed from the
> 3.4-RELEASE CDs, so it appears that I can skip this step?
> My /etc/fstab should also be ok?

It should be.  I have had no problems, but disks and devices are not my
strong area.

> >You need the new MAKEDEV script for 4.0 from /usr/src/etc.  As
> >far as I know, once you copy the new script into /dev, 'sh
> >MAKEDEV all' should work fine.  I could be wrong for certain
> >configurations.
>
> Hmmm...  <scratching chin...>  Perhaps this needs more clarification?

Again, devices are not my cup of tea.  I have always just copied the new
MAKEDEV into /dev and run 'sh MAKEDEV all'.  Never had any problem, but
again, that doesn't mean I haven't been doing something wrong.

> >You probably should boot into single-user, but I have done it
> >successfully after booting multi-user.
>
> I'm one of those "safety freaks" who always goes single-user for
> installworld...  :)

That's probably smart.  I am sure some day I will get bitten doing
this.  Until then, I will probably just live dangerously.

> >For the upgrade, yes, install GENERIC.  Once you have rebooted
> >after the upgrade, it is much safer to rebuild your custom kernel.
>
> So, substitute GENERIC for "YOUR_KERNEL_HERE?"

GENERIC for the initial upgrade kernel, YOUR_KERNEL_HERE after upgrade
complete.

> I think it would be a Very Good Idea to get "appropriate
> portions" of this information into the UPDATING instructions; it
> might help slow down the upgrading-deluge "here" on -stable...  :)

Again, send your suggestions to Warner Losh <imp@village.org>.  He
maintains the UPDATING file.

Enjoy 4.0.

- Matt

--
Matt Loschert                           loschert@servint.com
Software Engineer                       voice (703) 847-1381