Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:06:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@webdaemon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: icecast/liveice problems

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Konstantinos Konstantinidis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this Q really belongs here, but here goes.
>
> I tried to setup icecast/liveice to broadcast a local
> radio station on a 3.4-S box with an SB AWE64 Gold a
> few months ago but with no success. I quickly forgot
> about it, but I tried again yesterday, only now it is
> running 4.0-R, again with no joy, and what seems to be
> the same symptoms.

I haven't tried it with 4.0 yet, it's not seeing my SB
yet.  But I did sorta get it working with 2.2.8.

> I did get it to broadcast fine, but all it broadcasts
> is nice, MPEG Layer 3 compressed silence. The new
> version of liveice (that I got off ports) features what
> seems to be a vu-meter, which appears to be stuck at
> the same level, but a different one every time it is
> restarted. I guess this pretty much rules out the
> possibility of incorrect recording input settings,
> and seems to indicate that it can't read the audio
> data properly. Over at liveice's website it states
> that it's only tested on linux/oss, so I don't know if
> it's supposed to work on freebsd, but here's to hoping.
>
> Has anyone actually used liveice sucessfuly w/ freebsd?

With 2.2.8 a number of months ago I got it to take an
existing mp3 that was recorded at 128k and re-encode it
with a couple of different codecs and use liveice to
send it back out.  I set it aside since I couldn't get
it to re-encode correctly.  It was usually in slow
motion or something.  It appeared then (possibly still
now) that the problems were in the lack of a good encoder.

> Any other suggestions for live audio broadcasting?

I never got RA's encoder to work either.  It couldn't see the
sound card or mixer with any audio drivers I tried: oss, pcm
and voxware.  I don't know what the folks at RA were using.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking