Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:41:43 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fsck wrappers

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Watching my machine boot, the parallel nature of this fsck is now
> confusing the output, eg:
>
> Automatic reboot in progress...
> ** /dev/ad0s1a
> ** Last Mounted on /
> ** Root file system
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> de0: enabling 10baseT port
> ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> 1506 files, 57594 used, 10837 free (285 frags, 1319 blocks, 0.4% fragmentation)
> ** /dev/amrd0a
> ** /dev/ad0s1f
> ** Last Mounted on /cache
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ** Last Mounted on /usr
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes

> Would people object to fsck printing out either the mountpoint or the
> devname (where appropriate) prepending each line of fsck_ffs ?

Yes, if it is down for anything except the parallel (preen) case.

How did you get all the above output?  The current fsck doesn't print
any "Phase" messages for the preen case.  When these messages are
printed, interactive input is required except in the -y case, so the
processes can't be run in parallel.

Bruce