Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 07:45:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
Cc:        Albert Chin-A-Young <china@thewrittenword.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing help

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Paul Herman wrote:

> > 	Talk to your ISPs about running BGP or some other routing
> > 	technique to advertise both netblocks to both providers.
>
> Is this a viable solution nowadays?  I mean, anything smaller than /19
> won't get propagated to the rest of the world anyway. Also, I've never
> had any luck convincing two providers to somehow work together to
> solve a "small problem" like BGPing a small /24 block of addresses
> with their so called "competition" (at least here in Europe, anyway.)
>
> Perhaps, it's different in the US?

	NO, it is not too different.  It is hard to work with the upstream
	provider to announce anything smaller than a /24.  However, some
	of them do run other Routing protocols that you could
	accomplish the same thing (In some cases) and they are
	usually easier to work with on that level.  Or maybe he's
	multi-homed within the same provider...

	Either way, it's a pain in the butt to work with these people.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.