Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 23:50:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, Jason T <luser@ahab.com>
Subject:   Re: remove empty TEMPROOT dirs at mergemaster's end? (was: cvs commit:src/usr.sbin/mergemaster mergemaster.sh)

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Francisco Reyes wrote:

>The other case is files which one want copied without questions.
>All the files in /etc/defaults I never touch so I would prefer
>them to be merged without questions.

I would think that in keeping with POLA /etc/defaults should be merged
without questions anyway.  We've already decreed that we won't support
changing the contents of that directory, why can't we assume that it
hasn't changed and upgrade it automatically?  In fact, maybe that should
just be part of the installworld.  I do like your idea of allowing
specific mergemaster exceptions, perhaps in a mergemaster.conf file, of
course you've got to decide where to put it since it would traditionally
live under /etc and get upgraded while mergemaster is running.  ;-)

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying