Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:59:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        freebsd-question@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel Etherexpress Pro 10/100B and BayStack 450 24T Problems

Hello,

I am running 3-STABLE (the problem appeared since 2.2.5 or so). My
Etherexpress 10/100B is configured 100baseTX <half-duplex> and is directly
connected to a BayStack 450-24T.

As long as the BayStack-ports are configured 100/half-duplex as well
everything works fine, but if the ports are configured *autoselect*
(say while the FreeBSD box is running and then doing a reboot) the
connection slows down to some 40kb/s !

Has anyone experienced problems like that before?

It appears on any of our BayStacks and on any of our FreeBSD boxes.

In case of linux it even seems that the connection slows down during
normal operation (on some machins, sometimes :-), without a reboot...

Any hints?

best regards
	Jan

--
Physikalisches Institut der Universitaet Bonn
Nussallee 12