Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:31:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
To:        Andy Newman <atrn@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Bill Moran <wmoran@columbus.rr.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone using adaptec 29160

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Andy Newman wrote:

[snip]

> During the "writing intelligently" portion of a bonnie run (which I
> figure is just good sized block output)...
>
> (da2:ahc0:0:2:0): SCB 0x74 - timed out in Message-in phase, SEQADDR == 0x146

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but these timed-out messages, combined
with:

> Also of note is that under load the Ethernet can report...
>

> xl0: transmission error: 90
> xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 120 bytes
> xl0: transmission error: 90
> xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 180 bytes
> xl0: transmission error: 90
> xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 240 bytes
> xl0: transmission error: 90
> xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 300 bytes
> xl0: transmission error: 90
> xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 360 bytes
>

> Which I gather is to do with bus hogging, i.e, the 29160.

Is probably a reflection of the fact that you can hook more up to a PCI
bus than you can get through it.

IE, pci is only 132 MB/sec, and you can probably exceed that with just the
29160, never mind the ethernet.

The Tyan thunder series is looking better all the time:)

--- David