Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 10:57:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Netatalk on 4.1-STABLE

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> So does the Macintosh on your network see the printers on the FreeBSD
> boxes? That is what I ultimately want to achieve.
> I need to use PAPD (Printer Access) as opposed to AFPD (File Access) which
> is working fine for me too.

	I took the papd line out of /usr/local/etc/rc/netatalk.sh so that
it wouldn't advertise a non-existant printer.  But it used to show a
printer in the LaserWriter 8 driver.

> =>- You're trying to talk to an AppleTalk printer that isn't there.
>
> Maybe. I want the Macintosh to access the HP DJ Printer on my Unix box.
> Windows clients are doing that already...only Mac gives me a problem.

	Based on what you've told me, this is not the problem.

> =>- You haven't configured a printer for papd.  According to man papd, you
> =>need to configure it via /usr/local/etc/papd.conf.
>
> Very likely because whenever i try to use papd.conf, papd complains and
> doesn't wanna start...maybe I need to start it with some option pointing
> to a papd.conf somewhere??? That is my dilemna.

	I think that /usr/local/etc/papd.conf is defined in the binary
itself.  Not file options needed.  However, man papd shows a -f
option.  You'd have to change the line in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/netatalk.sh
to use this option if you intend to try it.

	I think that this comes down to just a matter of an unconfigured
program.  Read "man papd" and try to write a /usr/local/etc/papd.conf
file.  Then restart your papd process and give it a try.

							Jaime