Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 12:11:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>, Blaz Zupan <blaz@si.FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor performance with FreeBSD and Windows ICS

> Could you give examples of what you did with rfc1323 extensions,
> just enabled it in /etc/rc.conf, without touching the send/recieve
> buffers, or ?
>
> Could you also please give a example of a site that you would get
> hanging connections to ?
>
> What do you mean with hanging connections ?

I did some more investigation.  Increasing the buffer sizes above 65535
did not seem to improve performance further, although at 262144 it
wouldn't work at all (just get a message about no buffer space being
available).  Fetch worked fine with or without TCP extensions, enabling
them didn't seem to make any difference in performance.  However, ncftp3
would always hang with TCP extensions enabled.  It also didn't perform as
well as fetch on the same download.  With fetch I was able to achieve over
90kbyte/sec downloads consistently, not bad for a service which claims to
have a maximum thruput of only 400kbits/sec...

- Mike