Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:46:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4

Scott Gerhardt wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> Hello Ryan,
>
> Hope your week is going well so far.
>
> I was just wondering if, in your opinion, It would be better to start
> with that latest snapshot in 4.4-STABLE or stick with 4.4-RELEASE?

Hi Scott,

It depends what you're after. 4.4-RELEASE is guaranteed to be the best
tested "snapshot" of development in the 4.4 branch. The daily -STABLE
snaps obviously can not undergo large scale system-wide testing, code
freezes, release engineering, etc, so they are _not_ what I would consider
the most stable incarnation of FreeBSD. Things break on rare occasion. So,
if you're going to put a server into production, I'd stick with -RELEASE,
and apply all security and stability patches as they are individually
tested and released.

If you just want to keep a working box current with the latest additions,
fixes, etc, for development, curiosity, or whatever, then install which
ever is most convenient for you, and cvsup and track -STABLE regularly.

> I can always cvsup RELEASE to STABLE right?

Yes. If you cvsup from a really old RELEASE (e.g., major revision),
though, you will have headaches, as locations get moved, binary formats
change, etc. Stick with minor releases, read the -STABLE mailing list, and
you should be OK. You'll still have a really stable system.

> Thanks,

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon