Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:42:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Scott Pilz <tech@vikrant.tznet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Procmail/Virus

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Scott Pilz wrote:

>         Hopefully a simple question.
>
>         Our setup:
>
> ProcMail/QPopper/Sendmail/BSD 4.5-Release
>
>         Around 10k users on our mail server, heavy smtp/pop3 traffic
> on a daily basis, 24/7.
>
>         I need to implement "good" virus filters for incoming email on
> only selected (those that pay) mailboxes. I have looked long and hard
> for a program to do this - nearly all of them only support "global"
> configurations, or a replacement to procmail altogether (which I
> cannot do).
>
>         For those customers that subscribe, I'd like to simply modify
> their .procmailrc and include the pass-thru to the virus scanner.. Any
> package that anyone uses/heard of that does this the way I want it to
> work?
>
>         I find it hard to believe that people like Postini can do this
> on a per-user-level yet there are no good packages available for BSD.

	There is a simple and effective solution to MOST spam.  Look and
	see if the your address is in the TO: part of the header.

	So something like:

	1) allow trusted senders (like mailling lists and POSTMASTER)
	2) Check and see if To: contains the persons email account
	3) Mark it as questionable or delete [whatever].

	This catches about 96% of my spam.  Here is a sample procmailrc:

# Allow and sort freebsd-security mailling list
:0
*^Sender:.owner-freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
/usr/home/nick/mail/FBSD-SECURITY

# Allow from POSTMASTER (bounces)
:0
* ^From: .*POSTMASTER
/var/mail/nick

# Check if I'm in the To: part of the message
:0
* ^To: .*nick@rogness.net
/var/mail/nick

# Put in SPAM box for review
:0
/usr/home/nick/SPAM

	It needs to be tweaked a bit but you get the point.  Like I said,
	it gets about 96% of all SPAM I see.  Postini claims 98%...pretty
	good for a no brainer.

	As far as Virus scanning...you will probably have to buy something
	for that.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets