Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:44:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "Balaji, Pavan" <pavan.balaji@intel.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Copying from Virtual Address Space to Physical Address

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Balaji, Pavan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there some function using which I can copy data from the Kernel Virtual
> Space to a pinned Physical Address Page.

Not as such, though there are plenty of places that do such a thing. The
answer is always to map the physical page somewhere into kernel space.

This is true because the processer can not access pages by their physical
address once it is in virtual address mode.

Physio() does this.. first it finds the physical addresses of the user
pages targetted, then it maps those pages into kernel space, and then it
initiates IO to them. (this actually needs to change but for now it's
true.

> Thanx,
>
> Pavan Balaji,
> Intel Corporation
> Email: pavan.balaji@intel.com
>
>     "Only the Paranoid Survive"  --  Andy Grove

"until they die of ulcers" :-)