Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:08:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fsck successfull on checking root-fs but OS still can't mount it

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Hi !
> :
> :I'm seeing strange behaviour of fsck in -current.
> :FreeBSD titan.klemm.gtn.com 4.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #0: Wed Dec 22 07:07:11 CET 1999     root@:/usr/src/sys/compile/TITAN  i386
> :
> :SCSI bus hang, so I had to reboot. fsck checked every filesystem.
> :But then mount was unable to mount the filesystem and tells you to
> :check the fs using fsck. Did that again, nothing changed.
> :You have to reboot.
> :
> :I was bitten by that 3 times.
> :
> :Another thing are the (I assume SCSI) hangs I got 3 times since
> :I upgraded from 3.4-STABLE to -current. Next time I'll write down
> :the messages. Two times the messages were hidden by another X Window.
> :Nothing in /var/log/messages.
>
>     I've been bitten by this several times myself recently.  The system comes
>     up after a crash, fsck's the media, and then can't mount it and drops
>     into single-user.  The only solution is to reboot.

I thought so too, but you can actually 'tunefs -n (enbale|disable) /'
after that you should be able to mount your /.

>     It didn't used to do this.
>
> 						-Matt

I know...

If anyone else cares, the current situation about being unable to
auto-reboot (halting on /) is pretty annoying and ought to be
fixed.  There were various promises made that all the changes going
on with devices wouldn't cause such problems.

This makes running -current in somewhat production enviornments
impossible.  unless you hack /etc/rc.

Of course I may have just not remade my /dev/ properly, please flame
if appropriate.

thanks,
-Alfred

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]