Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 12:00:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Luke Rider <luke@r-t-f-m.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Redirecting console beeps to soundcard in 4.3-RELEASE

Hi,

I asked this question on -multimedia last week, and didn't receive a response.
I think this might be a more appropriate forum for the question, anyway.  If
you have any input on the problem, please let me know!

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Luke Rider wrote:

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out how to have a console beep (or whatever the
beep that comes out of the PC speaker is called - whatever "xset b" changes)
play a wav through my soundcard instead of beeping the PC speaker.

The box is running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE (RELENG_4_3 as of this week, actually)
with X 4.0.3 + Gnome/Enlightenment and has a Creative SB512 which is working
fine for every sound app I've tried.  The only kernel config change I made for
the soundcard was to add "device pcm."  I didn't specify any additional
bridging drivers or anything.

I haven't been able to find any hints about this anywhere online, including the
mailing list archives, but I can't imagine it isn't something other people have
wanted to do.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to get alarms in an HP OpenView map that
currently beep the PC speaker to play a wav file through the soundcard that we
can amplify and hear through the entire office - but I'd also like anything
else that causes a console beep to do the same (like hitting backspace at the
command prompt).  I assume that the same mechanism that'd capture/redirect the
console beep would catch that, but I can't figure out how to do it!

If anyone has any ideas, or knows somewhere that I could look/ask, your input
would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
--
Luke Rider