Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:06:49 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Sean Peck <seanp@loudcloud.com>
Cc:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, <lplist@closedsrc.org>, <kris@obsecurity.org>, <mwlist@lanfear.com>, <freebsd@sysmach.com?>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Sean Peck wrote:

> I have been running AMD processors with both FreeBSD and BSDi for quite some
> time now, and ATHLON is by far the better choice than the PIII or the P4.

	I guess it is cheaper too and delivers far better performance for
the pricing and you can still get a better or equivelent system for much
less.

> The only real issue with AMD is heat related they put out a lot of heat.. but
> that's about the only "concern" and I have never had this be a problem.

	Yep, I heard heat is the problem especially with those over
1Ghz...

> I would highly recommend purchasing AMD over any Intel offering in
> equivalent cost.  You will get far more bang for your buck with
> Athlon/Duron over anything that Intel has in the price range, period.

	True.  Now, speaking about the Duron, are the Duron's really
faster than the Athlon's when both are overclocked?  Some guy who runs a
cluster of 20-30 AMD's for rc5 crunching says the Duron is faster.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin