Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 01:27:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: shutdown not completing

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Yes, but I want to go to single user mode to do make installworld.
>
> This is not necessary.

    It's still in UPDATING.

    My sequence:

        make buildworld
        make buildkernel
        make installkernel
        shutdown -r now

        At the pause before booting, I strike any key (except return)
        and then do:

            unload
            boot -s

        At single-user,
        make installworld
        mergemaster
        shutdown -r now

It's less than an hour, end-to-end, now that I have a T-bird and DDR
SDRAM.  :-)

    The downside is that unless I remember to umount /usr before
shutting down, I get a fatal trap 12 that complains about "page fault
while in supervisor mode", and it's fsck city on the way back up.
Thank goodness / is only 100MB.

    I keep meaning to transcribe all of the information and post it.
If I'm not too bleary-eyed next time, I will.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)