Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:53:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Skrab <bgs@pinky.us.net>
To:        Jason Stephenson <jjas@engr.uky.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Syncing Handspring Visor over USB

Jason,

	Which Visor model are you using?  My Visor Deluxe (PalmOS 3.1) works
	flawlessly over the USB cradle to my FreeBSD box.  The newer models
	(Platinum, Prism, Edge, Neo, Pro) all use PalmOS 3.5 which seems to
	be the common factor in breaking Coldsync's ability to talk USB to
	the Visor.  I have personally tried Coldsync with the Edge and the
	Pro with the same results.  The author of the Coldsync software is
	aware of this issue and is working to find a solution.  He believes
	that both ends of the connection are blocking on reads from each
	other.  Coldsync is waiting on a packet that the Visor believes it
	sent, and the Visor is waiting on a reply from Coldsync.  The lock
	ends when the Visor times out and drops the connection.

	As a workaround, you can pick up a serial cradle which works without
	a problem, albeit quite a bit slower.

	Hope this helps.

	~brian skrab
	 bgs@pinky.us.net