Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 13:21:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        <ggm@apnic.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: power saving/power usage

On Mon, 14 May 2001 ggm@apnic.net wrote:

> Can somebody give me brief summary on how FreeBSD
> interacts with so-called power-saving feature-ettes
> on laptops?
>
> I am suspecting that I get less (apparent) time per
> battery charge on UNIX than on Windeath. I am also
> suspecting this is because you have to actively frob
> the CPU to tell it to [drop clock|drop volts|slow down]
> etc.

Yes -- FreeBSD does not currently implement processor cycling or any other
OS-controlled power saving features, for the most part. You can
suspend/resume and sometimes trick the disk into spinning down, but that's
about it.

-CURRENT has ACPI support so we'll have a daemon that can at least turn
off the fans and so forth.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org