Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 10:09:34 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@its.utas.edu.au>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 430VX (Triton III) chipset

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > anyone know of any gotchas with this chipset?
>
> First off, as others have pointed out, this is NOT Triton-III, and
> sales folks using that in there lit. are doing everyone a miss services.
>
> The 430VX is a low cost design alternative to the 430HX, it has a memory
> space restriction of 128MB, though it does add support for SDRAM and some
> view that as a neat feature.  It also has no way that I have seen to cache
> above 64MB.
>
> > I am considering getting an Asus P/I-P55TVP4 M/B with this chipset on it
> > and would like to make an informed decision.
>
> As you state later you have opted for the PCI/I-P55T2P4 board, that would
> be my recomendation.  If your going for a large memory space be sure to
> get a revision 1.6 or later board that has the support for caching >64MB
> by simply adding a 32kx8-15nS 5V chip to the board, the earlier versions
> require a special COAST module for this, the 1.6 and later do not.
>

> --
> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com

Thanks for your input.  Even though I doubt I will be exceeding 64MB with
this machine, I will still go for the PCI/I-P55T2P4 as I previously
mentioned.

Cheers,
Carey

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Infrastructure Services         ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !