Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 23:48:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VoxWare Sound Driver

I'm carrying this over to multimedia, where it's really appropriate and
the experts who work on this stuff live :)

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Jim Durham wrote:

> By the way. Is there a good, succinct explanation of how the
> various audio devices in /dev are supposed to be used? I've
> looked though the handbook, FAQs, and searched the Web, but
> to no avail. In particular, there are some strangenesses
> involving the Voxware driver, like that RealAudio says it
> uses the Voxware driver. When you try to run RA, it says
> "audio device in use". Took me a while to realize that it
> was talking about /dev/audio, which was in use, all right,
> but by Voxware! I killed auserver and RA worked just fine.
>
> I discoverd that /dev/au plays .au files. But
> /dev/midi0 does not play midi files. Playmidi,
> I believe, claims to use the Voxware driver, but
> only works in FM mode in reality.

To play .au, just cat to /dev/audio:

cat file.au > /dev/audio

To get anything else, check out the 'sox' program.  To play .wav's with
it:

sox file.wav -t au /dev/audio

The midi driver connects to the midi port on your sound card, or the
emulation thereof.  Unless you have a wavetable-like card, fm is all
you'll get.  If you have a GUS or (in current) a SoundBlaster AWE32,
you'll get real instruments.