Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 22:31:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Zsolt Szabadi <zsolts@cats.ucsc.edu>
Cc:        "'BSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: login for the first time

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Zsolt Szabadi wrote:

> I just installed FreeBSD ver. 2.1.5 on my computer for the first time.
> I am having a problem login on to the system .  When the login prompt
> appears, I type 'root'.  Then another prompt appears saying that I
> should sign in not as a 'root' but as 'my name' and that I should use
> the 'su' command.  I am not sure what do from here on.  Please help me.
> Also, please be aware that I am new to UNIX so please give my step be
> step instructions.

This means that you should create an account for yourself and use that.
This is to keep you from breaking things by doing things as root (who can
delete the whole hard drive without thinking).

1.  Login as root.
2.  Run 'adduser' and make yourself an account.  Make sure you invite
yourself into the 'wheel', 'operator', and 'dialer' groups.
3.  Run 'passwd' and give root a password.
4.  Logout; login as yourself.
5.  Anytime you need superuser access, run the 'su' command and give
root's password at the Password: prompt.