Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 1996 10:46:05 +0000 ()
From:      "Justin J. Ashworth" <justin@spacehog.structured.net>
To:        Henrik Johansson <f94jnh@student.udd.htu.se>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Live file system

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Henrik Johansson wrote:

>2. DIR /S COMMAND
>
>Is there a UNIX equivalent to the DOS command DIR /S [filename]
>which searches the entire directory tree for a certain file?

find / -name 'filename' -print

filename can contain wildcards. The slash is the starting point, so to
search from the current directory you'd replace it with a period.
Personally I find this long procedure ridiculous, so I created a small
script that depends on find and takes only one parameter, the filename,
and searches from the current directory.

Hope that helps!

Justin Ashworth
justin@spacehog.structured.net