Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 1996 14:52:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding a new disk

Nothing like treading over familiar ground...

I just added a new WD 1.6GB IDE disk to my 2.1.5-STABLE. I read the FAQ,
which unfortunately describes behavior of /stand/sysinstall contrary to
mine (there is no "expert mode" as described in the FAQ, and none of the
steps was really a good fit, especially the part that said to exit WITHOUT
comitting any changes). At any rate, I reverted to the man pages and the
"Running FreeBSD" book. What I did was:

	1. ran as much of the FAQ steps as possible - IOW, ran
sysinstall's partition editor, told it to use all the disk and then quit
w/o saving.

	2. ran disklabel. The new disk showed 3 partitions, with the first
two being marked as <UNUSED> and the third as being FreeBSD. Then ran
'disklabel -r -w /dev/rwd1c auto' which correctly set up the geometry
(3148 cyl, 16 hds, 63 sec/trk). I then edited the disklabel manually to
set the actual RPM and name.

	3. ran newfs with default parameters: 'newfs /dev/rwd1c'

	4. edited /etc/fstab to add /dev/rwd1c and rebooted.

Everything *seemed* to be okay, except that now when I boot, I get kernel
messages:

	/kernel: wd1: invalid primary partition table: no magic

...listed twice. Running fsck on the disk usually gives me:

	BLK(S) MISSING IN BITMAPS
	SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD

Although the only complaints when checking the fs on boot are the 'no
magic' warnings.

What have I hosed up? Should I have run fdisk first (I thought that was
only needed to maintain DOS compatability)?

TIA...

-Dave