Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:54:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      djf2 <djf2@danu.ili.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serial console issues

     I've been running into several problems with trying to get a serial
console working at faster than 9600 bps.  I followed the instructions
from the handbook as closely as possible, but wasn't able to find any info
on how to recompile the bootblocks.  So, I googled a few pages that had
some info.  Unfortunately, I've found two different ways to recompile the
boot blocks.  Here's what I've done :

make.conf containes 'BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=115200'
/boot.config contains '-P'
/etc/ttys ttyd0 is set to 'std.115200'

     Now, according to one page I found, I need to :

 cd /sys/boot/i386/boot2
 make clean && make all install

     This errors out looking for some object files, which were easy enough
to track down and install and eventaully it compiles and installs.  After
the 'disklabel -B ad0', I reboot and get nothing on the serial console
until I turn my speed down to 9600 and then everything functions
perfectly.  I found one other page that says I need to do the following :

 cd /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot && make clean && make all install

     After I disklabel those blocks in (which are put into /usr/mdec), I
get the following error as I try to boot :

>> FreeBSD BOOT @ 0x10000: 638/65468 k of memory, serial/dual console
Boot default: 0:wd(0,a)kernel

boot
Invalid format!

     I'm stumped as to what I'm doing wrong.  It looks like the changes
are noticed while the boot blocks are compiling and the console works fine
at 9600, but that's kinda slow for this machine.  Anyone have any
pointers?  Thanks in advance,

--
"Is that sound you're hearing the trumpeting of St. Peter's angels
 or the screams of Memnoch's tortured souls?"