Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:52:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Scheidt <rufus@brain.mics.net>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: code density vs readability

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> > > only.)  But my big plus for vim is its paragraph-level operations, eg
> > > gqap for formatting a paragraph.  Not a big deal with programs, but a
> > > huge help with text and emails, and even handles quoted email
> > > correctly and is great at unmangling Outlook-generated mail.  I don't
> > > think nvi has that; traditional vi doesn't.
> > >

> > I'm not convinced this needs to be part of the editor.  Checkout par
> > (ports/textproc/par), I think it does everything vim does.
>
> I just looked at the package description file.
>
>     Par is a filter that copies its input to its output, changing all
>     white characters (except newlines) to spaces, and reformatting
>     each paragraph.  Paragraphs are separated by protected, blank, and
>     bodiless lines (see the Terminology section for definitions), and
>     optionally delimited by indentation (see the d option in the Options
>     section).
>
> So what would you do with par if you only wanted to format one
> paragraph in one text, and didn't want to jump through several hoops
> to do so?  A common occurrence with latex documents, I assure you,

!{par

Is how I normally invoke par from vi.  Sometimes, !} or ![[ or !]] too.
!{par pass the text from the cursor to the previous paragraph break (a
blank line, or as set using the para command) to par, and replaces it
with the output. !} does until the next paragraph.  ]] and [[ are on sections.
Both will take a numeric arguement in the normal vi fashion.

David