Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:47:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   netgraph/atm

I'm beginning to look into implementing ATM rfc1483 bridging with freebsd.

Here's my plan:

1. Add netgraph hooks to ATM HARP stack, in a similar way the LMI/DLCI
hooks work for ethernet: ATM physical interfaces should appear as netgraph
nodes.

I.E. you should be able to do something like this:
ngctl mkpeer hfa0:rawdata rfc1483 pvc0/33 encaps_llc_snap
to decapsulate snap+llc bridged packets from that PVC.

rfc1483 node would output 802.3 ethernet frames, extracted from that VC

2. Create a 'virtual ethernet' node type, which should be similar to
current 'iface' type, only it should present actual ethernet-style
interface, i.e. with MAC addresses, ARP, etc.

Vitaly Belekhov's work should be very useful for me, since he implemented
'virtual ethernet' ng_eiface driver. Hopefully, I won't need to change
anything, and can connect hfa0:rawdata:pvc0/33 directly to ng_eiface ;)

3. Then I can use bridging provided by freebsd on these virtual ethernets.

Questions:
1) Does my scheme make sense?

2) I'll have probably 50-100 virtual ethernet devices. Should I expect
major problems with this?

Also, I just wanted to say thanks to netgraph team...Its an awfully simple
idea, treating network interfaces as just streams of packets, and using
unixish semantics to connect them via filters/edges...

Thanks.