Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 08:39:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Richard Chang <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject:   Re: word processor

From: Richard Chang <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 19:01:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:

> > On Tue, 7 May 1996, Richard Chang wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > >     Is there a word processor for FreeBSD under X that will be able
> > > to write documents with different fonts or even print out to postscript?
> > > Thanks!
> >
> >  There's a couple.  the 'doc' application from the 'iv' port does it, but
> > I don't know that I'd recommend it, because iv is _huge_ (unless you need
> > a neat C++ graphics/gui library) the size isn't justified.  If you have
> > tex installed (say from the ports teTeX distribution) then noname (yeah,
> > it's called noname) does print postscript, and it's WYSIWYG.  noname
> > requires Motif, but there's a statically compiled version on
> > wcarchive.cdrom.com, in pub/FreeBSD/incoming.
>
>         Hmmm, is noname a Word Processor and is there anyway to do
> calligraphy type fonts?

I can't comment about 'noname' but I've been playing with 'lyx', and I'm
quite impressed!  It's a very usable almost-WYSIWYG front end to LaTeX,
complete with support for previewing via xdvi and ghostview,
spell-checking with ispell, multilingual support, and linuxdoc SGML
generation.

For info, see  http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/LyriX.html

To get it going, I installed the latex package, a newer version of
the Xforms library, and the 'babel' latex extension (ftp'd from CTAN).

I also installed the linuxdoc distrib
(http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/Linuxdoc-SGML.html), which compiled fine once
I removed signal 9 from the trap commands in the included shell scripts,
and installed the flex package.

Anyhow, I now have a very nice word proc which does nice (latex quality)
printing, and an easy route to generating HTML equivilants (via linuxdoc).

---
  Charles Owens                                  Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X