Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:07:31 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Andrew Reilly <A.Reilly@lake.com.au>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limit of bus hierarchies (was Re: PCI modems do not work???)

 > > > USB doesn't present a 16550A interface to the host, so I don't think
 > > > that sio would have a USB attachment.
 > >
 > > So there's going to be manufacturer-specific terminal/serial port drivers
 > > to talk to the serial ports on USB-attached laptop docking stations, like
 > > the Annex ethernet terminal server things?
 >
 > Presuming we are able to get any documentation out of any of these
 > vendors; so far USB serial ports have been one of the worst things to
 > enquire about.

1) Why do you want a sio like interface to something that contains
brains, i.e. a 8051 microcontroller?

2) There is someone writing firmware for the most commonly found serial,
adapter from Entrega, and he is at the point where he is using the
serial port for debugging output for the firmware in the
microcontroller.

Nick

--
ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy