Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 13:05:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Garth Corral <garthc@compass-da.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Configuring EISA devices (3c579)

Hello all,

    I have recently installed 2.1.5-RELEASE on a 486DX/50 EISA box and
everything seems to be working fine.  I have a question about configuring
EISA devices though.  At boot time, the GENERIC kernel correctly probes
my 3c579 NIC while probing the EISA bus.  It also, however, tries to probe
for this device on the ISA bus and fails with a (from memory)

    ep0 device not found at 0x300

error message.  This is not suprising given the device entry in the
configuration file.

    I've since built a custom kernel to remove unnecessary devices and
add support for my multiport serial board.  I changed the device
entry for the 3c579 to read

    device ep0 at isa? port? net irq ? vector epintr

with much the same results.  The device is now 'not found' at 0xffffffff.
The ep driver is apparently EISA aware and seems to correctly probe and
attach my card.  My questions are:

Why the extra probe on the ISA bus?  (Because I told it to, I assume)

Can I simply reduce the device entry for this to

    device ep0

and have it correctly probe this card?