Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 09:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brooks Davis <brdavis@orion.ac.hmc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mouse problems

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.6 with a GENERIC kernel minus SCSI controllers and
most network card drivers, and plus MFS (for /tmp).  The hardware is a
P133 on a Tyan Tomcat II (with one proc).  My problem is that I can't seem
to get my MS IntelliMouse to talk over the PS/2 port.

If I plug it in through the adaptor to COM1 I can make it work fine with
moused and X (using the sysmouse facility).  A probe with moused says:

# moused -p /dev/cuaa0 -i all
/dev/cuaa0 serial intellimouse IntelliMouse

Now, when I plug it in to the PS/2 port and reboot, the kernel spits out
the following during boot:

psm0 at 0x60-0x64 irp 12 on motherboard
psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3

When I probe it with moused I get:

# moused -p /dev/psm0 -i all
/dev/psm0 ps/2 sysmouse IntelliMouse

The problem is that if I start up moused I can't get the mouse to show up
either one the console (after enabling it with 'vidcontrol -m on') or in
X.  I also didn't have any luck getting it to work in X following the
instructions on the XFree86 site.

I'd just use the serial option, but I've got this LinkSys CPU Switch that
seems to only work properly over the PS/2 port (it only take a PS/2 mouse
and seems to do some sort of emulation on the serial port).  Additionly, I
just bought the PS/2 adaptor becuase I'll need the free port some time
soon.

Has anyone solved this problem before?

Thanks for your time,
Brooks Davis