Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:36:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: makeworld problems

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> Jordan Hubbard just made a recommendation on -stable that people not try
> to do this unless they are seriously committed to being on the bleeding
> edge. YMMV.

Well, i'm not so much interested on being on the bleeding edge here, it's
just that I would like to have a more current version of the operating
system.

> It's not that 3.0-stable is not stable. It's that upgrading and switching
> to elf at the same time is yielding some difficulties.
>
> If you must persist, I recommend grabbing the 3.0-RELEASE install floppy
> and doing a binary upgrade to 3.0R. Then go to 3.0 stable from there.

hm....I'm about to purchase The Complete FreeBSD, but I wasn't sure if I
should get the cdrom set along with it.  I guess I will now.  Just for
backup's sake.

> Beware! You need new boot blocks. You need an ELF kernel. You need to fix
> some devices which have changed names.
>
> I think waiting until 3.1 is a very good idea.

Is there a way I can do a "make world deinstall" (ok, for lack of a better
phrase I'll call it that).  What's the best way I can get my machine back
to the way it was before I tried all this?  It seems to at least boot up
okay, but I'm not sure if I should look for any further problems with it.

thanks!

--Alissa