Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2000 00:50:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Goumans <mgoumans@atmcanada.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Peter Schwenk <peterschwenk@home.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting Lucent Orinoco Silver Card Working

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Wes Peters wrote:

> Peter Schwenk wrote:
> >
> > Hello:
> >
> > I'm attempting to use a freebsd 4.1-R box as a base station.  The box
> > has another ethernet board hooked up to a cable modem.  The box
> > currently works as a home router to a wired network, but I'm hoping to
> > replace the wires with Orinoco cards, which I've already purchased.  The
> > freebsd box has the ISA adapter from Lucent, which gets recognized by
> > the kernel.  When the card is inserted into the adapter, the pccard
> > service complains about not having an entry in the database for card
> > "(null)" ("(null)").  It's as if the orinoco card isn't advertising
> > itself as any card at all.  Does anyone know what might be going wrong?
>
> Poke the card in your system, do a pccardc dumpcis, and edit the above entry
> to match the two ID strings, probably something like "Orinoco/IEEE" at a
> guess.

Orinoco cards still have the same cis tuples as the older Lucent badged
ones. Only the sticker is different. The fact that the card is coming up
null null though would leave me to beleive that the cis information cannot
be read properly. I would try using pccardc power to shutdown and
reactivate the card, and see if you can use dumcis to read the tuples
properly, and if it still doesnt i would say not based on experience but
just assumption, first try the card in a windows box and see if the driver
takes on it. if it doesnt there may be hardware issues. And then next try
to force the driver on the card with pccardc enabler but there seems to be
an error in handling the iosize for assigning ports to the card. instead
of assigning a range of ports, it just assigns one indivbidual port when
it needs 64. YMMV though. its a simple fix though but I dont have it on
me. Its in the pccardc code but it didnt work until i forced it to.

Mike