Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:14:17 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, "" <hubs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.8 i386 packages uploaded

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Murray Stokely wrote:

> I don't think there was an announcement to hubs@ about it.  I also
> don't think that reading emails and manually kicking off the mirror
> script is a very efficient way to run a mirror site.  Can't you just
> mirror via cron, maybe with a little sanity checking on your mirror
> configuration?

we try and automate parts of the mirroring but prefer to do the
syncing of new releases in most cases manually for a couple of
reasons (perhaps some now historical)

o we can't keep an exact duplicate of what is on ftp-master at all
  times, e.g for disk space reasons.

o we have had issues in the past with updates taking so long in some
  cases that they rolled into each other.

o a large chunk of the freebsd site doesn't seem to change anyway
  and i guess we could just exclude it from an automatic mirror
  process but it has been easier to simply manually sync up new
  stuff via scripts.

> Announcements do not go to hubs@ everytime something is placed on the
> FTP site, they are only sent to hubs@ during major releases so that we
> may coordinate and make sure the bits get to all of the right places
> in time.

that's fair enough - i guess i was hoping there would be a mail when
"significant" things were going to be coming out, e.g the 4.8-R
package tree notice that came out.  for some of us the addition of
another 5-10G might mean 2-4 days of syncing as well as a large
chunk of disk disappearing in one hit.  i consider the release
trees/isos and RC trees/isos significant.    probably much less
so for generic updates to distfiles or a new package build.

i'll try and check the web pages more frequently and see if i can
tune our scripts a bit more towards automating this part of the
updates cycle.

regards,

-jason