Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:08:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Buzz Slye <buzz@gaia.arc.nasa.gov>
To:        bms@incunabulum.net
Cc:        firewire@freebsd.org, mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com
Subject:   libraw1394

Hello

I'm not sure if or when I can release the FreeBSD version of libraw1394.
Since it was written at government expense, it must be cleared through
NASA Export control.  Meanwhile please note the following:

This library was written to conform to an older version of libdc1394.
The latest version of libdc1394, I have discovered, has many routine
name changes so there will require some reallignment and cleanup.

You don't need references to raw1394_iso_recv_init, etc., etc., they
don't exist.  All the setup stuff is handled by the Firewire Kernel
module which was written by Kobayashi and Shinokawa (Copyright 1998-2002).

I suggest you forget the API and use a simpler makefile, e.g.,

     # Makefile for libraw1394
     #
     all: main.o readwrite.o iso.o
 	rm -f libfraw.a
 	ar -r libfraw.a main.o readwrite.o iso.o
 	ranlib libfraw.a

     .c.o:
 	gcc -c -O2 -Wall $<

This code does not support multiple cameras.

Asychronous tramsmissions only support quadlet (4 byte) read/write for
reading and writing camera registers.

Our applications mostly use cameras to take single images at timed
intervals.  If you will be using stream transfer, you may want to
change the buffering setup.

Buzz Slye
NASA/Ames Research Center
Moffett Field CA 94035