Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:38:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Lui <klui@cup.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network stalls for FreeBSD 4.2

Hi,

I'm having problems transferring files between two FreeBSD 4.2
installations (from BSDi CD-ROM). The two machines are an
Asus A7V with Intel 10/100B Management using the fxp driver
(connected with a hub) and an HP Kayak XU with PCNet integrated
SCSI/ethernet adaptor using the lnc driver -- probably connected
to a switch. I was initially using the pcn driver on the HP Kayak
but I was not able to even ping my HP workstation next to me with
it. Using the legacy lnc driver solved this problem. However, I'm
finding that when I transfer data via either ftp or scp (I also
have the ported ssh 2.3.0 installed), I get many stalled transfers.
They seem to occur randomly but almost always start after over 100K
has been transferred.

The fxp driver does have a duplex option but it is only full.
I'm assuming that it defaults to half-duplex. No options are
available on the lnc driver.

Any insights?

Ken
--
Ken Lui                          3000 Hanover Street
klui@cup.hp.com                  Palo Alto, CA  94304          USA