Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 1996 01:44:26 +0800 (GMT+0800)
From:      "Humprey C. Sy" <humprey@linux1.dlsu.edu.ph>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling with shared libraries

I'm confused about how shared libraries actually work.  Here's my
problem:

I was able to make a shared library file - libmac.a.  What I'm confused
about is how come if I have to compile it together with my c program, I
have to place the option "-lmac" at the end of the command. i.e.

	cc -O2 zo.c -lmac

If I try to include "-lmac" before zo.c, the procedures compiled in
libmac.a won't be seen at all, and the compiler returns errors saying
these procedures are unreferenced from text segment.  Why is this so?
Any clarifications would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much!

- Humprey -