Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:39:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [tege@swox.com: gif problems]

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:

> Wolfram,
>
> On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 10:42:58AM +0100, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> > From: Torbjorn Granlund <tege@swox.com>
> >
> > Please consider converting your gif images to png.  www.burnallgifs.org.
>
> OK, you're the WebMaster.  What do you think?
>
> Personally, I suspect PNG support is built into enough browsers that we're
> not going to lose an audience by converting all the GIF files in the
> repository to PNG.
Hi!

Sorry for speaking up on this but I think that the mere fact of many
people already using the latest versions of Netscape to view our site does
not mean we are all set to abandon gifs yet. This I have learned from
experinece when I had to design a Web page for one of our student groups
at the University and to my horror had to find out that the supposedly
modern
computer lab still runs Netscape 3.1 on Win 3.11 and this is where almost
all
students go for Internet access... no comment on this
one.

The bottom line: I think it is still too early for gifs to go.

Cheers !

Szilveszter ADAM