Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:40:33 -0700 (PWT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: QIC tape problems on -stable (was: hanging `tar xfvR /dev/nrst0' process, can i debug it?)

> As Matthew Jacob wrote:
>
> > >   So what's the
> > > scenario where you think you really need another WRITE FILEMARKS with
> > > a count of 0?
> >
> > At < 10MB/s tape transport speed you'll have data in the tape buffers for
> > geologic time after you've finished the WRITE command (remember- you're in
> > buffered mode) and want to read position.
>
> Well, but you didn't read the remainder of my article, did you?

I thought I had. I apologize if I hadn't. I was likely reading it over a
very slow dsl line.

> The thing is, before you can get at issuing an ioctl(MTIOCRD*POS),
> unless you're doing this inside the application that's currently
> writing (none of the existing apps would do so), the application
> writing data has to close the tape device first.  Closing the tape
> device after a write operation always results in writing at least one
> filemark (withouth the `Imm' bit set in the CCB), so this by
> definition flushes the write buffer.

Yes, but saying none of the current applications do the behaviour of write
write rdhpos write is not correct behaviour. The expected and usual
behaviour of this feature is to use it within an application- not via the
mt(1) command. The expected usage would be likely be to read position and
then write a record- and flushing a previous write is a good thing.

It isn't just a case of flushing to make it easier for getting reported
position. There have been proposed, I seem to recall, specific changes to
the Solaris tape driver to handle DDI_SUSPEND events for the E10K class of
machines- you get a DDI_SUSPEND, so you throw a 'Flush' at the drive so
that the data that you've lied about being committed to media is actually
committed to media.