Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 11:38:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe <flaboy@gnv.fdt.net>
To:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
Cc:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>, junkmale@xtra.co.nz, Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: configuring sendmail to be more anonymous.

Absolutely, forgive me for not putting it in before.

To modify the response given when you type "help" after establishing a
connection to sendmail:

edit:

/usr/lib/sendmail.hf:

cpyr
cpyr    Copyright (c) 1983  Eric P. Allman
cpyr    Copyright (c) 1988, 1993
cpyr        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights
reserved.
cpyr
cpyr    @(#)sendmail.hf 8.2 (Berkeley) 7/16/93
cpyr
smtp    Commands:
smtp            HELO    EHLO    MAIL    RCPT    DATA
smtp            RSET    NOOP    QUIT    HELP    VRFY
smtp            EXPN    VERB
smtp    For more info use "HELP <topic>".
smtp    To report bugs in the implementation send email to
smtp            support@fdt.net.
smtp    For local information send email to Postmaster at you

To edit what sendmail reports upon a connection, edit your
/etc/sendmail.cf  file:

# SMTP initial login message (old $e macro)
#O SmtpGreetingMessage=$j Sendmail $v/$Z; $b
O SmtpGreetingMessage=$j Mail Server.
        Ready on $b.
        Do not spam this site or use it as a relay without explicit
permission!

Again, edit this to your preference :) and restart your daemon.

This pretty much will give your sendmail version anonymity.  It was useful
back in the "sendmail of the day" releases, however, now it's stabilized
somewhat.  It's really nobody's business what version of sendmail
you run, so have fun!

Joe

On Tue, 4 May 1999, James Wyatt wrote:

> If you would be so kind as to enlighten us on it, we would appreciate it.
> When you post something useful like this, most of us would like to see how
> the magic trick is done. 8{) It also helps the mail archives! - Jy@
>
> On Tue, 4 May 1999, Joe wrote:
> > You can create custom messages there as well:
> >
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > 220-yoda.fdt.net ESMTP Mail Server.
> > 220-Ready on Tue, 4 May 1999 07:53:03 -0400.
> > 220 Do not spam this site or use it as a relay without explicit
> > permission!
> > help
> > 214-Commands:
> > 214-    HELO    EHLO    MAIL    RCPT    DATA
> > 214-    RSET    NOOP    QUIT    HELP    VRFY
> > 214-    EXPN    VERB
> 	 [ ... ]

> > > That alone doesn't help much in that respect:
> > >
> > > help
> > > 214-This is Sendmail version 8.9.3
> 	[ ... ]

| Joseph Barnhart            |     IRC     | HellSouth Communications      |
| Senior Network Engineer    |  Front Page | http://www.hellsouth.com      |
| Florida Digital Turnpike   |  56k Dialup | AoHELL.Org / www.aohell.org   |
| http://www.fdt.net         |   ISDN  T1  | flaboy@hellsouth.com          |
| http://fdt.net/~flaboy     | Web Hosting | flaboy@aohell.org             |