Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:53:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gv port builds but fails - needing libpng.so.4 (?)

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> Please install pkg_tree and run it through less. Then search for
> png and you'll see the ports which are still depending on the old
> png-port. If you re-install them (make, make deinstall and make
> install) they'll know to use libpng.so.5 instead of libpng.so.4.

Hi Edwin,

Thanks, this tool is quite useful.  AFAIKS I have several packages on my
system which depend on png-1.0.11, which aren't now installed.

I guess I'm doing to have to update these packages too.

However I have several duplicate packages installed, amongst them:

kdelibs-2.1.1       Libraries for KDE2
kdelibs-2.2_3       Libraries for KDE2

I've in the past found that installing or upgrading ports doesn't tidily
remove the previously installed ports and can cause all sorts of problems.

In cases where the port's configuration files are important (a web o mail
server for example), won't the make deinstall remove all these
configuration files, thus losing vital information?

While the port system works quite well, I've found it rather lacking
regarding dependency checking, upgrade procedures and son compared to
other packaging mechanisms, of which rpm comes to mind as being the one
I'm most familiar with.

The fact that the ports allow me to get into the situation I'm in is
really asking for trouble later down the road as I'm seeing now.

Is this a valid criticism? (No, I'm not trying to start up a flame war - I
like FreeBSD, but haven't migrated over completely from a rpm linux
distribution partly because I don't feel the package management is good
enough yet.  That or the documentation is not clear enough for someone
like myself used to other environments.)

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd,   Tel: +34-91-408 4878,  Mobile: +34-605-085 219
Madrid, Spain.  email: sjmudd@pobox.com,  Postfix RPM Packager