Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:56:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3-BETA2 boots OK on PC64

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 03:17:37PM +0200, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote..
> >
> > This is good news because on my AlphaPC 64 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA1 was not
> > booting (tested with S3 Virge and Matrix Millenium).
> > Is something changed in between? What was the problem?
>
> Not that I noticed.  But it might be worth taking the VGA card out
> completely and see if it boots with a serial console.  There seems
> to be fishy stuff with sc(4) and some VGA cards on Alpha.
>
> Example: today I had an AS255 lockup after jumping to the kernel
> on BETA2.  Another VGA card and it is happily running now. Weird
> if you ask me..

Hi Wilko,

In my tests on my AlphaPC64 I've reported that without graphic card it
works on AlphaPC64. :-)

I've tested also with S3 Virge and Matrox Millenium, they don't work with
BETA1.

Yesterday I have tested BETA2 on AlphaPC64 and Matrox Card and it works
as reported by somebody else. That's why I've asked what was changed in
between.

Best regards,

G. Ardelean (Johny).