Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:37:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IF you like your NVIDIA Graphics card

On 17 Sep 2002, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> Date: 17 Sep 2002 07:48:29 -0700
> From: Gary W. Swearingen <swear@attbi.com>
> To: FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: IF you like your NVIDIA Graphics card

> > Saw this on /.
> > 	Hugh writes "The FreeBSD NVIDIA Driver Initiative has
> > 	announced[1] that nVidia itself will be releasing a FreeBSD
> > 	driver for its line of cards. This is excellent news for
> > 	people who prefer to Quake on the best OS available."
>
> >From what I read, some people have learned not to get exited until
> nVidia says "has released" -- "will be releasing" being an old story,
> often told.  Apparently, XFree86 manages to get enough info out of ATI
> and some other companies to write open-source drivers for them in a more
> timely manner.  (My new Radeon 7000 works nicely under XFree86 4.2.)

Yes, but without any useful 3-D (OpenGL) support, correct? My nVidia card
works fine with the XFree86 'nv' driver as well, but only with 3D
acceleration where the nVidia drivers have been provided.

The people following that chain-of-events wnat OpenGL; as a 2D card, most
of them work fine already.

If you tell me that your Radeon works in OpenGL 3D in XFree86 (at better
than 5 FPS) I'll go buy one right now ;-)

Sorry for the OT continuation - JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg