Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 08:36:19 +0000 ()
From:      Tim Pushor <timp@orion.ab.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tape drive problems? maybe?

This may seem like a moronic question, as I have done this countless times
before, and now I can't quite seem to get it to work.

I am running FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE and have just bought a shiny new
Exabyte 8505XLI tape drive. I am attempting to back up several filesystems
as different tape files. e.g.

cd /somewhere ; tar cf /dev/nrst0 *
cd /somewhere/else ; tar cf /dev/nrst0 *

I have done this before with other UNIXes.

Now I am attempting to restore these directories (actually just verify
that this is happening) with:
mt rewind
tar tf /dev/nrst0 > filelist.1
tar tf /dev/nrst0 > filelist.2

the first one always works (and is the one I backed up first) the second
one never does. I have tried writing filemarks using mt between the two
backup procedures.

It seems to never find the second archive. It is my understanding that the
tar will write the file to tape and write an EOF mark, then the second
file, and another EOF mark. Upon restore, after the first file is restored
the tape should be in position to read the next tarfile. It doesn't
happen. I have also tried rewinding the tape and using the mt command to
skip to the next filemark and reading the next archive, but it doesn't
work either.

Does anybody know what is going on?

Please email any replies as I am not on the mailing list.

Tim
---
Tim Pushor, Senior Systems Engineer | Phone: (403) 284-0042
Orion Technologies Inc.             | FAX:   (403) 284-9495
timp@orion.ab.ca                    | http://www.orion.ab.ca