Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 23:21:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   vx0 100Mbs card in 2.2.2-RELEASE

Hi...

	We have:

vx0 <3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI> rev 0 int a irq 5 on pci0:11

	Installed on two 2.2.2-RELEASE machines in our office, each of
which are plugged into a 100Mbs port on a Dlink 810 EtherSwitch and are
experiencing abysmal slowdowns in transfer speeds compared to what it was
like when we didn't have the EtherSwitch, and right now, I'm at a lose as
to why.

	If we try to transfer a file from one of the FreeBSD (100Mbs port)
 to a Sparc20 (10Mbs port) on the same hub, we get around 600+Kbytes/sec.

	If we try to transfer that *same* file from FreeBSD (100Mbs)
to FreeBSD (100Mbs), through the EtherSwitch, we get around 100Kbytes/sec.

	The Sparc20 is on one 10Mbs segment, and each of the FreeBSD boxes
are on their own 100Mbs segment, so they aren't "sharing" a port.

	On the flip side, going from the Sparc20 (10Mbs) to one of the FreeBSD
machines (100Mbs), we are getting around 14kB/s.

	Checking the back of the computer/card, the card indicates that it
is running in 100Mbs mode for both systems, but beyond that, I'm at a loss
for where else to look...

	One thing we're curious about, and I hate to throw this in, but
the etherswitch itself has a switch that allows us to switch from full duplex
to half duplex on a port by port basis...currently, its set at full duplex...
could this possible relate, or has nothing to do with it?

Marc G. Fournier                                 scrappy@hub.org
Systems Administrator @ hub.org              scrappy@freebsd.org