Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 19:06:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kim Scarborough <lists@jinx.unknown.nu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Using tip to get on console

I have something of an unusual situation. My FreeBSD box is colocated in a
NOC that I don't usually have access to. If it crashes or loses network
connectivity, I'd like to be able to get on console remotely. A friend has
another FreeBSD box at the same place, and we both have accounts on each
other's machines. I thought maybe I could hook up a serial cable from his
serial port to console on my machine (and vice versa), and then if I need
to get on console on my machine, I can just log into his machine and use
tip cuaa0c or whatever to get on mine (and he can do the same thing on
mine when he's down). My questions are these:

1) Does this sound like it will work?

2) How can I send a CTRL-ALT-DELETE (if my machine is really locked up) if
I'm using SecureCRT on a Windows box to log on to my friends machine and
hooked into my machine with tip? Is there an equivalent key combination
that I can map to one of the F keys?